Molly Murray - Birth, Life, and Business Doula
20 Questions to Ask Yourself When Writing Your Birth Story:
1. Where were you at and what were you doing when you first thought labor may be starting?
2. What was the first sign that labor might be or was imminent?
3. Who did you tell first? How did they react?
4. How and when did you know for sure that it was labor?
5. Did you have time to rest? What are some of the activities/positions you tried for comfort?
6. When did you call your doula, childcare for older siblings, someone to care for the dog, etc.?
7. How long did you labor at home?
8. How did you know it was time to go to the hospital or call the midwife, if having a homebirth?
9. What was the ride to the hospital like?
10. What are some physical sensations you especially remember..smells, touch, noises?
11. How would you describe your contractions or surges in the various stages in labor?
12. What were your moods like at various times in labor?
For fun, how would those around you in labor answer this?
13. What was it like to settle into your birth place?
14. What surprised you about your labor?
15. What would you describe as the high and low points of your labor?
16. How did your labor and birth compare to what you thought it might be like?
17. How long did you push? Were there complications with your delivery? If so, what were your feelings and reactions to the intensity?
18. How did your baby first look to you? What were the feelings when you first met your baby?
Think about the smells, sounds, sensations...
19. What are some other things that are memorable to you or that you now laugh or cry about?
20. Did you surprise yourself in any way as you dealt with the circumstances of your birth experience?
Have more ideas or want to share a link to your birth story? Feel free to do so in the comments!
Cincinnati Mother, Birth and Postpartum Doula, Childbirth Educator and Founder of the Cincinnati Birth and Parenting Network.
Serving Greater Cincinnati & N. Kentucky since 2012
I accept payments via cash, check, credit cards, Paypal, and you may be able to use funds from your HSA or FSA.
Serving Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky including: Alexandria, Amberley Village, Bellevue, Blue Ash, Burlington, Centerville, Cheviot, Clifton, Cold Spring, Colerain Township, Columbia Tusulum, Covington, Crescent Springs, Delhi, Dry Ridge, Edgewood, Elsmere, Erlanger, Florence, Ft. Mitchell, Ft Thomas, Ft Wright, Green Township, Hamilton, Harrison, Hebron, Hyde Park, Independence, Kenwood, Loveland, Madeira, Madisonville, Mariemont , Mason, Middletown, Milford, Montgomery, Mt Adams, Mt Healthy, Mt Lookout, Newport, Northside, Oakley, OTR, Park Hills, Pleasant Ridge, Sharonville, Springboro, Union, West Chester, Wilder and all cities within 1 hour radius of Cincinnati, OH.
SUPPORTING FAMILIES IN:
natural birth, cesarean birth, induction. planned cesarean birth, gentle or family centered cesarean birth, multiples, VBAC, water birth, attachment parenting, babywearing, breastfeeding, bottle feeding and more!
Experienced with many birthing philosophies such as: Birthing From within, Bradley Method, Hypnobabies, Hypnobirthing, Lamaze, etc.